Monday, August 17, 2009

The big reveal!

Well, it finally happened. After more weekends than I really care to count, we turned this:

Into this:

We continued the tile through the living/dining room which has made the space look bigger, and, most importantly in my book, has made cleaning up the pet hair from our menagerie way easier. Here's a look at the work crew over the last of the project weekends:


Once the renovations were over (as over as they ever are around here anyway) the only thing left to do was take Barb up on her offer to break the place in. This brings us to today's life lesson: When you have a friend whose superb kitchen prowess is discussed over and over again, and that friend offers to cater a party at your house, you do not think about dirty dishes. You just say "yes, yes please".

Allow me to introduce the chef:
This party had a smorgasbord (there's a word I don't get to use enough) of Spanish tapas. Empanadas, gazpacho, Spanish ham, Manchego cheese with quince paste, flatbread tostadas, grilled vegetables with saffron aioli, french bread with romesco dipping sauce... and yet I still feel like I'm forgetting to mention some things. All I know for certain is I'm considering asking Barb to move in.

Rob was in and out of the kitchen trying to usurp my "official taste tester" status.

I let him live, but it was close. My benevolent dictatorship does not tolerate coups.

The party itself was a lot of fun. I love having the excuse to pull together friends for some mingling and the inevitable Rock Band.


The party left behind a certain amount of carnage, of course:

See Mom, all that hard work was put to good use! Oh, and the dishwasher still does a good job when filled to capacity... in case you were wondering.

2 comments:

Elyse said...

Been awaiting this post for awhile! Love Love the new kitchen! I might even be inspired to make a meal on a stove so sparkley and stainless =)Wish I lived closer! Looks like a great party, and that list of food is making my mouth water. Hope life is good! I'm off to study some neonatal resuscitation, good times =)
your long lost friend~Elyse

ronin rock said...

that is the second time this weekend you've upsest me with my non austin status.

curses.